Devon TRF Group Forum

Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: A Warning for Holbeton area.


Clubman A

Status: Offline
Posts: 585
Date:
A Warning for Holbeton area.


4 of us out riding today after climbing 202-218 we headed for the dead end lane of 202-226 for the view of the estuary.

Only to be confronted by someone in a tractor who decided to block our way lowering his spikes heading straight for me on the Tarmac road to question us about riding illegally on I believe Marystow estate land or Bridleway as they have been having problems with 4x4s, I told him where we were going and only ride legal routes.

So if you are in this area be aware that Tractors may try blocking you in, any way they can, without thinking of safety first!!!

I am positive there was a sign for byway and Bridleway at the estuary end anyone got pics of it? as i wonder if they are going to try block this lane. 

 

 



__________________


Expert

Status: Offline
Posts: 1520
Date:

My first thought would be to photograph him and the vehicle and report the incident to the police.  He has no right to challenge you or block your way.  

Actually my first thought would have Involved his spikes.

Discracefull behaviour that shouldn't go unreported.

 

 



__________________


Clubman A

Status: Offline
Posts: 585
Date:

Unfortunately we took no pics or licence plate, very stupid of me.



__________________


Expert

Status: Offline
Posts: 1373
Date:

Back in 2022 when they were still working on the Tellytubby house 'Lawnfield' at the western end of 226, there was this sign

GRMUID D ref 202-226 sign at Western end e.jpg



__________________

DGTRF Rights Of Way/Rights Of Roads Officer



Expert

Status: Offline
Posts: 1023
Date:

It is interesting to note that the continuation of 202-226, (a white road 202-437 which is actually coloured in on the list of streets), may be the source of friction, but probably not.
The bridleway is concurrent with this way for the first 50 yards but a N.E.R.C. S.67 exemption ought to apply as it on the List of Streets, and it is probably excluded from the DTRFG overlay because nobody wants to be the test case challenging the status by claiming S.67 exemption, although if you read the relevant section of the Natural England and Rural Communities Act it looks likely to apply here.

Most likely the problem is 4x4s illegally playing in the private woodland known as Holbeton woods, or idiots who do not care riding the bridleway anyway.

I find a helmet camera very useful when challenged, I ask politely for their name, and withhold mine if they chose to stay anonymous.
Gently pointing out that they are breaking the law by blocking your way and saying that you welcome the police being called is often a game changer because the average NIMBY expects you to back down and run away when challenged, and since it is quite difficult to find out which unsurfaced roads are public the locals aften assume wrongly that the absence of tarmac means no road so you have the advantage over them with the certainty the Devon TRF overlays bring.

On occasion I have actually felt sorry for NIMBYs who have stopped me believing I am riding illegally, only to find I have done enough research to confidently contradict them and on many occasions they have a genuine grievance about illegal off roaders, which we are most certainly not.

__________________


Expert

Status: Offline
Posts: 1023
Date:

Trevor Foxon wrote:

My first thought would be to photograph him and the vehicle and report the incident to the police.  He has no right to challenge you or block your way.  

Actually my first thought would have Involved his spikes.

Discracefull behaviour that shouldn't go unreported.

 

 


I agree, but.... 

Reporting incidents to the police can backfire as any incidents can be held up as 'proof' that a problem exists. Better to talk things through is possible.

We lost Hillier lane because of a retired police officer who repeatedly engineered confrontations and then used these incidents to lobby for a TRO to deny us the lane because of the 'problems with motorcyclists' he himself had caused by jumping out in front of people then claiming they had tried to run him down.



__________________


Clubman A

Status: Offline
Posts: 585
Date:

The screenshot I have put here, is the purple line I have marked the Whitey?

The red line is the path we took and the dot is where the tractor blocked the road next to Bridle way entrance.

I am considering contacting Flete estate (not Marystow), by email just to mention the safety aspect of his actions.

Any thoughts on doing this?

 

Screenshot_20240311-080135.png

 



Attachments
__________________


Expert

Status: Offline
Posts: 1023
Date:

Can't do any harm to reach out and it will differentiate us from the illegals, as well as making the point that there is legal riding too.
Offering to help identify the illegals can be a useful way of distinguishing us from them, perhaps worth asking for a contact number to alert them to ongoing illegal use.

I do not think the bridleway is a DTRFG claim lane and I know of no evidence that it was ever a road, apart from the 50 yards of it on the list of streets which is tarmac.

The whitey is the purple line. It is gated but I have never found the gates locked which is an invitation to enter, as you know there are many gated public roads on Dartmoor.
There are signs saying the adjoining woodland is private but that is true and should not concern us. I can see a single locked gate into the woods as well as several places where anyone could enter Holbeton woods from the public highway. It is a shame that people take advantage of such easy access to play on other peoples land and annoy the landowners to the extent that they then stop innocent members of the public passing nearby.

__________________


Elite

Status: Offline
Posts: 5999
Date:

NeilM wrote:

Unfortunately we took no pics or licence plate, very stupid of me.


 We all learn and not stupid at all, just have it ready for next time wink

I try and take me go pro where ever I go these days, if not the phone is there for back up...

 



__________________

'He who dares wins'

trf member ;-)  qy100112bw



Elite

Status: Offline
Posts: 5999
Date:

Experiences form the past should be introduced into the present/future, that's how we learn.. evolve... 

These little incidents aren't that frequent considering the large network trail riders have in Devon, the majority of the roads are open and looked after by the farmers, land owners, Devons PRoW team of wardens. Yes some farmers can get the grumps from time to time, chat to them, explain the situation, they may well know the legal status...

You can always contact the PRoW warden for the area...have the local parish councillors been informed, do they run the amazing parish paths partnership within the parish, locals may be able to give information on the farmer, land in the surrounding area, loads of avenue's that could be explored without seeking a confrontation

"Ham lane" in East Devon opened up quite a few details about the local farmer & parish council along with the PRoW department, a lot of information, details can be gathered from talking...

Bouchland could have been solved through talking....Hillier lane the same, video footage, talking to the local parish council etc....far too late now hmmconfuse

Talk about it or do it.......wink



__________________

'He who dares wins'

trf member ;-)  qy100112bw



Clubman A

Status: Offline
Posts: 585
Date:

wackyracer wrote:

Experiences form the past should be introduced into the present/future, that's how we learn.. evolve... 

These little incidents aren't that frequent considering the large network trail riders have in Devon, the majority of the roads are open and looked after by the farmers, land owners, Devons PRoW team of wardens. Yes some farmers can get the grumps from time to time, chat to them, explain the situation, they may well know the legal status...

You can always contact the PRoW warden for the area...have the local parish councillors been informed, do they run the amazing parish paths partnership within the parish, locals may be able to give information on the farmer, land in the surrounding area, loads of avenue's that could be explored without seeking a confrontation

"Ham lane" in East Devon opened up quite a few details about the local farmer & parish council along with the PRoW department, a lot of information, details can be gathered from talking...

Bouchland could have been solved through talking....Hillier lane the same, video footage, talking to the local parish council etc....far too late now hmmconfuse

Talk about it or do it.......wink


 Thanks Wacky.

It was a short confrontation and parted friendly .

I have sent a message to the estate just raising my concerns.

No reply as yet.

 



__________________


Expert

Status: Offline
Posts: 1023
Date:

NeilM wrote:
wackyracer wrote:

.... confrontation

.... solved through talking.....wink


 Thanks Wacky.

It was a short confrontation and parted friendly .

I have sent a message to the estate just raising my concerns.

No reply as yet.

 


 You have done everything right and it often doesn't take much to change peoples attitude just by standing your ground and being positive.

I have had a lot of encounters which started badly with "where do you think you're going?" and ended well after a chat with "have a nice ride"



__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.



Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard